Pages

Friday, June 24

The Dental Appointment part 1

It has been 2 years since my last visit to the dentist XD Its been a looooong time! What made me decide to visit a dentist now?? Aside from the fact that I know I need to have a cleaning and check-up, its because I'm having a hard time chewing my food due to a gap/hole in my teeth (at the upper right corner) and the random bleeding and inconsistent toothache is just killing me.

Unlike in the Philippines, Here in the US you need to set an appointment with the dentist through the receptionist if you want to be treated. It may take at least a week depending on the dentist availability and yours as well. Dental treatments here in the US are quite expensive that's why you need to have dental insurance to cover for you. Good thing, I got one from work. ^_^

My wisdom teeth xray photo
Before the cleaning, the dentist did a couple of checks - xrays and enlarged pictures of my teeth. Revealing where the "cavities" are and possible bacterial infection that may lead to gingivitis. Fortunately, the dentist said my teeth are in good condition except for some cavities (tooth decays), "dental filling" (dental restorative material used to restore the function, integrity and morphology of missing tooth structure), and rigorous cleaning that needs to be done to get rid of bacterial build-up between the teeth and gums to avoid gingivits. Well it doesn't sound good to me. (-_-);;

The dentist also suggested the removal of my wisdom teeth. She said I need to get rid of it while I'm young or it will damaged the tooth preceeding it. But for me, it wasn't really a big deal and it doesn't bother me at all having it. Well I guess its different here in the US, but still I have a final say about my teeth and I decided to keep my wisdom teeth and face the consequences later.

Another reason why I'm not doing it is because its really expensive! (yeah I know I'm stingy ;p) Just for the removal of one wisdom teeth it'll cost you around $400-500 and it can get more expensive depending on the situation on how they're going to remove it. And I've got 2 wisdom teeth that needs to be removed so that will cost me around $1,000++ So heck NO I'm not spending that much money or else I'll be broke.

One more thing, according to my friends removing it will be really painful although I already asked the dentist so many times if its going to hurt and she plainly answered no it's not going to hurt its going to be fast and painless. uhm I don't know about that. (o_0);;

Scaler and Currete
I was really looking forward for the cleaning but much to my dismay it wasn't something to look forward to. The only thing I remember two years ago is that I enjoyed the part when the dentist brushed my teeth with an electric tootbrush. It felt relaxing and comforting to the teeth. Now I know why it felt so good when the dentist started brushing my teeth that was because the hard painful part was over. Before the brushing, the dentist was "scaling" (Remove tartar from teeth by scraping them) each and every tooth with her curette and scaler. It was a painful experience for me considering its been a long time since I had my cleaning. I can tell the dentist was (kinda) struggling while trying to clean my teeth and also trying hard not to hit the gums as much as possible since its already bleeding. From that point on, I know that my gums are going to be sore afterwards. Now, I'm not even looking forward for the next cleaning session which will be 6 months from now. (thank goodness!!!)

Keeping in mind on what the dentist said to me during the cleaning:

After these your teeth and gums will be so happy and refresh and so are you.

I interpret it as:

Aching teeth + Sore Gums = Clean and Happy teeth and gums
freebie from the dentist
Actually, I wasn't expecting a freebie from the dentist. It makes me feel like a kid receiving sweets from the dentist. =))  I received a toothpaste, 2 kinds of dental flosses, toothbrush (it feels kinda weird after they were recommending about the electrical toothbrush that I should be using instead of the normal one), referral slips, flyer for mouthwash, appointment sticker cards (to remind me of my next visit for the filling), estimate cost for the next visit, and xray photo of my wisdom teeth with referral letter to their recommended clinic for the removal of it.

Can't wait for the next appointment!!! FILLING!!! finally (-_-)\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment


credits to TAGA-DON